Our Heritage

At the end of the reign of King Malcolm IV, Roger de Valois, a Norman nobleman, receives the manor of Kilbride from William the Lion.

Bishop Jocelyn grants de Valois the right to a private chapel in his castle at the Mains. (nb Not the current Mains Castle which largely dates from the 15th Century.)


Kilbride becomes a Prebendal church, supporting the Chanter of the Cathedral and embracing the regulation of music in the church.

The status of the ancient parish of Kilbride is exalted.


Kilbride’s Canon is Henry de Wardlaw, Precentor of Glasgow Cathedral.

Henry subsequently becomes Bishop of St Andrew’s and founder of the University there in 1411.


John de Hawick is ordained as the first perpetual vicar of the Church of Kilbryd.

A hospital with chapel attached at Torrens, dedicated to St Leonard, pays a “tithe of hay” to the Kilbride Church.


A parish is opened in Eaglesham, drawing its support from the cotton workers.

It is to Eaglesham St Bridget’s that the early inhabitants of East Kilbride travel to attend Mass.


After the Eaglesham mills are destroyed by fire, the population moves to Busby where the parish of St Joseph was established at Clarkston.

The East Kilbride population now make their way to Busby to receive the consolations of the faith.


During this time, a room in the “Big Land”, which stands until the 1950s, (at the corner of Hunter and Montgomery Streets) is used by the Priest on his visits.

The Public Hall is used for Holy Communion until the building of the Hall Chapel on Glebe Street in 1907.

As East Kilbride’s growth gathers pace, a temporary church is commissioned and opened in Glebe Street.

Once the current building is consecrated, the temporary church becomes the Parochial Hall.

On Saturday 21 November 1959, Bishop Scanlan cuts the first sod at the site of the new church.

Canon James Kilpatrick oversees the construction of the new building.


The last pre-Reformation Precentor was John Stevenson in 1552.

In 1560 a curtain falls on the Roman Catholic faith in these parts.

The west of Scotland became the centre of a renewed Catholic faith in the early 19th century.

Please click here to see photographs of the ceremonies which took place during the building of St Brides.

In 1946, a separate parish is established in East Kilbride. Father John C. Battel is appointed parish priest.

For the first time in four hundred years, the village has its own incumbent priest.Clergy.htmlshapeimage_14_link_0